2.3.09

[pathopoetry] The hungry mania of a single person after a draining workday

I am hungry, but too tired
to exert myself in the search for sustenance
I can starve myself to be symbolic, I think, while secretly
thinking, food

would be really good to have, yet sleep
would be fabulous, then my stomach protests
you are never good to me, oh no
oh no, you are far too spoilt

what with chocolate in the evening, recall?
and some random fruit for health
still you have grabbed at my abdomen
quite inconsiderately, I felt

the wrench of your complaining, did you
need to groan so low? don't you know my aching back is creaking
don't you see my eyes are glazed and burning


my spine is a sine curve, still reeling
from all those years of calculus carrying
so that I am still spited by those schooltexts
doomed to bend double long after working

and my dark circles are smarting

but you swear you are internally collapsing
(and I feel it too, my ribs meet my navel)

so I will fight my soporific fantasy
tear myself slowly from my comforting stasis
to put something, anything substantial, in you

so you can shut (up)
and I can go sleep.




-----
View/download "The hungry mania" poem